11th Annual Battle of the Bridge Contest
Friday, March 2nd (FULL) or Saturday, March 3rd (16 spots left!)
at The Putnam Museum, 1717 West 12th Street, Davenport, IA 52804
for ALL AGES, with 2-4 people per team
Cost: $25.00 per team
(teams can also pay for optional pre-order pizza and drinks)
The event is open to any student, grade or age for either Friday or Saturday. A team may consist of one to four people, where all team members must be signed up on the registration form.
- OBJECTIVE: Build a model bridge onsite with provided tools and materials within 3 hours with the greatest structural efficiency.
- When: Pick Friday or Saturday participate!
- Friday, March 2nd: Check-In/Setup 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm Bridge Building 12:45 pm – 3:45 pm Load Testing 3:45 pm – 5:15 pm
- Saturday, March 3rd: Check-In/Setup 8:00 am – 8:30 am Bridge Building 8:45 am – 11:45 am Load Testing 12:15 pm – 1:45 pm Awards Ceremony 1:45 pm – 2:15 pm
- Family (Any combination – kids, adults, seniors) – see Rule #10
- Elementary (Grades 4-6)
- Middle School (Grades 7-8)
- High School (Grades 9-12)
Update (Friday, 23Feb18 – 6:00 PM): Our Friday session is now full with 40 teams.
Please register for Saturday where we currently have plenty of openings:
Liability and Photography Release Waiver*
Every participant must have this waiver to participate.
2018 REGISTRATIONS SO FAR…..
Friday: 40 teams max (any combination) limited to 8 teams from ANY ONE SCHOOL
Saturday: 40 teams max (any combination), limited to 8 High School teams only
No pre-work is required with all of the materials provided along with tools and local engineers support at the event.
RESULTS: Posted 1/30/16
The most innovative bridge went to Skywalker Bridges.
|Category||TEAM NAME||SUPPORTED WEIGHT [lbs]||BRIDGE WEIGHT [lbs]||EFFICIENCY||RANKING|
|10Family||The Joys of Engineering||210||0.335||626.87||1st|
|11Family||H & P Construction||154||0.330||466.67||2nd|
|1G 4-6||Team Brane||40||0.155||258.06||1st|
|2G 4-6||Simple Name||42||0.29||144.83||2nd|
|3G 4-6||The Tie Fighters||46||0.36||127.78||3rd|
|4G 7-8||The Wizards||72||0.230||313.04||1st|
|5G 7-8||Fluffy Unicorns||38||0.365||104.11||2nd|
|6G 7-8||Disaster Arena||30||0.405||74.07||3rd|
|7G 9-12||PVHS 2||136||0.270||503.70||1st|
|8G 9-12||Bob The Bridge Builders||140||0.285||491.23||2nd|
|9G 9-12||A Team||100||0.270||370.37||3rd|
Total in each category:
- Family – 16 teams
- Elementary – 9 teams
- Middle School – 6 teams
- High School – 23 teams
2016 Event Sponsors:
|The Putnam Museum|
|Q.C. Coating, Inc.|
|PCT Engineered Systems|
|Mathnasium The Math Learning Center|
|Caddy’s Sports Bar and Grill|
|US Army Corps of Engineers|
|Deco Tool Supply Company|
2016 Event Volunteers:
Information From Previous Bridge Events:
- 2015 Results with Pictures
- 2014 Results with Pictures
- 2013 Results with Pictures
- 2012 Video (6:31)
- 2012 Results and Pictures
- 2011 Results and Pictures
- 2011 Video (5:09)
- 2010 Results and Pictures
- 2009 Pictures
Battle of the Bridge History:
In 2008, the Quad City Engineering and Science Council sponsored it’s first bridge building contest as part of a series of workshops supporting the Da Vinci Exhibit at the Putnam Museum in Davenport. Based on the success of the contest, this is now an annual event.