Volunteers Needed –
To Support Quad City Area Student age 6-18 on FIRST Robotic Teams for 2017-2018 Events
Are you looking for a way to share your skills, talents, passion having fun and positively impact the lives of students age 6-18 in our community? It doesn’t matter which FIRST program you volunteer for, you will always walk away at the end of the day with a sense of pride and fulfillment, knowing that you have helped children experience what they never might have without FIRST and without your support.
No previous experience or technical background is required for most of the volunteer positions which are typically one day or less with adults, college and high school students eligible to volunteer including family and friends.
Below is a listing of 21+ FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Quad City area competitions and events seeking 300+ volunteers along with state, regional and world championship events. Click on the “Link to Apply” for the specific events you want more information or want to apply to volunteer. For the first time to volunteer, you will need to create a profile before applying to volunteer for an event.
Scroll down to see the full list of events through June 2018
FIRST was founded in 1989 by Dean Kamen (inventor of the Segway) with their mission to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that is much #MoreThanRobots by building science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
(Link to amazing FIRST student impacts)
Links to key information on volunteer at FIRST events:
- Sample of event volunteer roles by program
(Note: not all roles needed for QC Events)
- Key information with links on FIRST event volunteers
- Short Video on Being a FIRST Event Volunteer (1 min – 52 seconds)
- Key information with links on being FIRST team mentor or coach
Links to further information on FIRST programs:
- FIRST LEGO League Junior (Jr.FLL) – Students Grades K-4 –
- FIRST LEGO League (FLL) – Students Grades 4-8th
- FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) – Students grades 7-12th
- FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) – Students Grade 9-12th
No previous experience or technical background is required for many of the volunteer positions including some of the judging roles & refereeing with training available. Positions are available for adults and students in college & high school.
Conflict of Interest: You should not volunteer for a role involved with judging, inspecting, or refereeing at the event in which you have any relationship with any of the competing teams (coach, mentor, parent or relations to student or school/organization). You support these roles at other events or volunteer in other roles. Link to FIRST Volunteer Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement
Volunteers will be provided food, beverages, and an amazing experience supporting our local youth!
Note: There are several Quad City area FIRST teams still seeking mentors to support their team. If you have any interested in mentoring, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
To volunteer for a position at one or more events including the ones above, you need apply using the FIRST VIMS (Volunteer Information & Management System)
Steps you need to follow:
- Create an account if it’s your first time, which includes providing contact information, info “About You” with all info except Military Service having “Prefer Not to Answer” as an option and your expertise.If you have previously volunteered, you can log-in and don’t need to create an account.
- Find and apply to volunteer at one or more FIRST Events including the ones listed above. You can prioritize the positions you are interested in supporting. You can search for events by program and/or location including zipcode and distance in miles.
Note: In order be assigned to a volunteer position, you will need to pass the background check (can take one week or more) initially the first time you create an account and apply as part of FIRST’s new Youth Protection Program. Note: you are not required to provide your social security number and there is no cost for the background check to you. The background check is done the first time you apply and there after every three years.
You will receive an e-mail when you have been assigned to a role.
If you have any questions regarding volunteering at Quad City area FIRST events, send an e-mail to email@example.com