13th Annual Battle of the Bridge Contest
Friday, March 6th or Saturday, March 7th, 2020
The Putnam Museum,
1717 West 12th Street, Davenport, IA 52804
for ALL AGES, with 2-4 people per team
Cost: $25.00 per team
(teams can also pay for optional pre-order pizza and drinks)
The event is open to any student, grade or age for either Friday or Saturday. A team may consist of one to four people, where all team members must be signed up on the registration form.
OBJECTIVE: Build a model bridge onsite with provided tools and materials within 3 hours with the greatest structural efficiency.
Friday, March 6:
Check-In/Setup 11:30 am – 12:00 pm
Bridge Building 12:15 pm – 3:15 pm
Load Testing (available after 2 hours) 2:15 pm ~ 4:15 pm
Awards Ceremony ~ 4:15 pm – 4:30 pm
Saturday, March 7:
Check-In/Setup 8:00 pm – 8:30 am
Bridge Building 8:45 am – 11:45 am
Load Testing (available after 2 hours) 10:45 am ~ 1:15 pm
Awards Ceremony ~1:15 pm ~ 1:30 pm
- Family (Any combination – kids, adults, seniors)
see Rule #10
- Elementary (Grades 4-6)
- Middle School (Grades 7-8)
- High School (Grades 9-12)
DOWNLOAD 2020 RULES, TOOLS and MATERIALS*
(Updated Jan 22, 2020)
Liability and Photography Release Waiver*
Every participant must have this waiver to participate.
- Friday: 40 teams max (any combination) limited to 8 teams from ANY ONE SCHOOL
- Saturday: 40 teams max (any combination), limited to 8 High School teams only
No pre-work is required with all of the materials provided along with tools and local engineers support at the event.
Highlights for 2020:
- This year’s event will be one week later than the past owing to many positive changes going on at The Putnam Museum – Friday March 6, and Saturday March 7, 2020.
- At this time, The Putnam cannot commit to foul-weather reschedule dates, that’s why they are listed as “TBD”. We will keep you in the loop…
- Awards for the school-age categories will be given out on Friday only, just like 2019.
- Masking take will be provided as a TOOL upon request, not to be used as a MATERIAL.
- New minimum bridge height of 4 inches.
- We clarified Professional/Societies to be ALL ADULTS (≥ 18 years old), and there are no trophies to be awarded for this category.
- Restrictions on the use of WIRE have been removed.
- Clarified the hole sizes on the test stands (~1/8”).
- There are now three toy trucks to use to verify that the bridge acts as a bridge. The most limiting dimensions are provided. Any truck can be used.
- The loading platforms are being reconstructed but will function the same as the wood/rope platforms of the past.
- Teams should order food delivery on their own or purchase through the museum’s concession stand.
Information From Previous Bridge Events:
- 2019 Results
- 2017 Results
- 2016 Results:
- 2015 Results with Pictures
- 2014 Results with Pictures
- 2013 Results with Pictures
- 2012 Video (6:31)
- 2012 Results and Pictures
- 2011 Results and Pictures
- 2011 Video (5:09)
- 2010 Results and Pictures
- 2009 Pictures
Battle of the Bridge History:
In 2008, the Quad City Engineering and Science Council sponsored it’s first bridge building contest as part of a series of workshops supporting the Da Vinci Exhibit at the Putnam Museum in Davenport. Based on the success of the contest, this is now an annual event.