Volunteers Needed for Area FIRST Events –
To Support Quad City Area Student age 6-18 on FIRST Teams
3Jan20 Update: Here is a link to all of the Quad City area 2019 -2020 FIRST events seeking volunteers with links & instructions to apply to volunteer. Directly below are key upcoming events seeking volunteers now. Volunteers are especially needed for judge positions for qualifiers. No prior experience needed, and a background in STEM is not required! If you have never registered as a volunteer for FIRST, start your registration process here
Upcoming Quad City Area Events:
- FTC DeWitt League Qualifying Tournament – January 25 – Central DeWitt High School, DeWitt – Volunteer (70+ needed)
Other Regional Events Attended by Quad City FIRST Teams:
- Iowa State FLL Championships – January 18 & 19 – Iowa State Univ, Ames – Volunteer
- Peoria League FTC Qualifying Tournament – February 8 – Manual High School, Peoria – Volunteer
- Iowa FTC Super Qualifier – February 15 – Regina High School, Iowa City – Volunteer
- Iowa FTC Championship – February 28 & 29 (two days) – DoubleTree Hotel, Cedar Rapids – Volunteer
- Iowa FRC Regional – March 25 – 28 – University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls – Volunteer
Are you looking for a way to share your skills, talents, passion having fun and positively impact the lives of students age 6-18 in our community? It doesn’t matter which FIRST program you volunteer for, you will always walk away at the end of the day with a sense of pride and fulfillment, knowing that you have helped children experience what they never might have without FIRST and without your support.
No previous experience or technical background is required for most of the volunteer positions which are nearly all one day or less with adults, college and high school students eligible to volunteer including family and friends.
Here is a link to 24+ FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Quad City area competitions and events seeking 400+ volunteers along with state, regional and world championship events. Click on the “Link to Apply” for the specific events you want more information or want to apply to volunteer. For the first time to volunteer, you will need to create a profile before applying to volunteer for an event.
To volunteer for a position at one or more events including the ones above, you must apply using the FIRST Volunteer Registration System using the link below:
- If you have previously registered and volunteered with FIRST, you can log in and apply for the specific events you want to support.
- If this is your first time volunteering with FIRST, you need to create an account with a profile and the apply for specific FIRST events you want to volunteer at. When you apply, you can put in priority order, the volunteer roles you would like to support.
- Below is an example of upcoming Quad Cities FIRST Tech Challenge events with the search results and info you see so you can apply.
A step by step guide for signing up to volunteer with FIRST is available with the link below:
Note: In order be assigned to a volunteer position, adult volunteers will need to pass the background check initially the first time they create an account and apply as part of FIRST’s new Youth Protection Program. Note: you are not required to provide your social security number and there is no cost for the background check to you. The background check is done the first time you apply and there after every three years. A background check for minors is not required.
Volunteers will receive an e-mail when you have been assigned to a role.
FIRST was founded in 1989 by Dean Kamen (inventor of the Segway) with their mission to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that is much #MoreThanRobots by building science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
(Link to amazing FIRST student impacts)
Links to key information on volunteer at FIRST events:
- Sample of event volunteer roles by program
(Note: not all roles needed for QC Events)
- Key information with links on FIRST event volunteers
- Short Video on Being a FIRST Event Volunteer (1 min – 52 seconds)
- Key information with links on being FIRST team mentor or coach
Links to further information on FIRST programs:
- FIRST LEGO League Junior (Jr.FLL) – Students Grades K-4 with teams of up to six students
- FIRST LEGO League (FLL) – Students Grades 4-8th with teams of up to 10 students
- FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) – Students grades 7-12th with students up to 15 students
- FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) – Students Grade 9-12th with unlimited size teams (average 23 students per team)
Note: There are several Quad City area FIRST teams still seeking mentors to support their team. If you have any interested in mentoring, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding volunteering at Quad City area FIRST events, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org