14th Annual Battle of the Bridge Contest
Virtual Stream of Testing: Saturday, March 6th, 2021
Bridges to be turned in: Friday March 5th – Saturday, March 6th, 2021
Material pick-up: Friday February 26th – Saturday February 27th, 2021
Streamed Virtual from the Putnam Museum (Details TBD)
ALL AGES, with 2-4 people per team
Cost: $25.00 per team
The event is open to any students middle school up and families. A team may consist of one to four people, where all team members must be signed up on the registration form.
OBJECTIVE: Build a model bridge using the prescribed tools and provided materials with the greatest structural efficiency.
Pick-up Bridge Kits at the Putnam (between the hours of):
Friday, February 26th: Noon – 5pm
Saturday, February 27th: 10am – Noon
Bridge Drop-off and Inspection (between the hours of):
Friday, March 5th: Noon – 5pm
Saturday, March 6th: 10am – 11am
Saturday, March 6th: 10am – ???
- Family (Any combination – kids, adults, seniors)
- High School (Grades 9-12)
- Middle School (Grades 7-8)
DOWNLOAD 2021 RULES, TOOLS and MATERIALS*
(Updated December 21, 2020)
Highlights for 2021:
- Elementary students are encouraged to compete in the Family Division. For school teams, IF your school includes 6th graders in Middle School, than 6th-graders can compete in the Middle School division.
- Quad City Tech Challenge participation is not known at this time.
- This event is limited to 80 teams. 80 certified and sealed Material Kits will be available.
- 40 certified and sealed Tool Kits are available to non-school related teams. This is our entire inventory of tools. It is expected that schools will make the approved tools available to their teams, and what tools we have will be reserved for Families and/or homeschoolers. All tools are expected to be returned when the completed Bridges are turned in.
- Material and tool kits will be sealed >28 days before distribution for Covid concerns.
- Similarly, mock-Test Stands will be distributed with the Materials – we have 40. One Mock-Test stand can be distributed to a school for use of all their participating teams. Detailed Test-Stand dimensions have been added to the RTM.
- The material pick-up has been extended to Saturday AM to facilitate teams who cannot otherwise get to The Putnam Museum during Friday’s business hours. ONLY those teams (primarily Families?) that pick-up materials on Saturday can drop-off completed Bridges on the next Saturday (the intent is for all teams to have a maximum of 7 days).
- The App “SignUpGenius”© will be used to schedule times to reduce congestion during material pick-up and completed bridge drop-off.
- Teams will be expected to provide a photo of the team with the completed bridge at drop-off.
- Due to anticipated Covid concerns, only QCESC volunteers will be @ the Putnam Museum during testing. Details of the “Live Stream” option will be made available closer to the event.
- Bridge 101.ppt (link to video) (1)
Pictures from previous years
Information From Previous Bridge Events:
- 2020 Results
- 2019 Results
- 2017 Results
- 2016 Results:
- 2015 Results with Pictures
- 2014 Results with Pictures
- 2013 Results with Pictures
- 2012 Video (6:31)
- 2012 Results and Pictures
- 2011 Results and Pictures
- 2011 Video (5:09)
- 2010 Results and Pictures
- 2009 Pictures
Battle of the Bridge History:
In 2008, the Quad City Engineering and Science Council sponsored it’s first bridge building contest as part of a series of workshops supporting the Da Vinci Exhibit at the Putnam Museum in Davenport. Based on the success of the contest, this is now an annual event.